Colleges Similar to Tulane
By NOELLE COMPTON
At The Admissions Angle, it’s our job to help students like you keep an open mind and explore other options that align with your academic and personal aspirations. In this article, we’ll introduce you to five outstanding institutions that share similarities with Tulane in various aspects, such as class size and campus culture.
Why Do Students Consider Tulane?
Before jumping into the other great college contenders, let’s examine why Tulane makes so many students’ lists.
- Tulane’s distinctive New Orleans location offers a rich cultural experience.
- A solid commitment to community service and civic engagement.
- Robust academic programs across a wide range of disciplines.
- Acceptance Rate: Approximately 12%
- Cost to Attend: Tuition and fees for the 2023-2024 academic year are approximately $60,000, but financial aid opportunities are available.
Now, let’s delve into these five alternative colleges!
The Vibe: Nestled in the heart of vibrant Atlanta, Georgia, Emory offers an academically rigorous environment with a strong emphasis on research and community engagement. The campus exudes a warm, inclusive atmosphere, and you’ll find a close-knit community eager to make a difference.
Class Size: Enrollment is typically around 7,500 undergraduate students, ensuring a diverse and dynamic community.
Acceptance Rate: Emory University typically admits around 19% of applicants.
Cost to Attend: Tuition, fees, and other expenses for the 2023-2024 academic year total approximately $70,000. However, Emory offers generous financial aid and scholarship opportunities to eligible students.
Why Consider Emory?
- Robust academic programs, especially in the sciences and humanities.
- Access to countless research opportunities.
- Atlanta’s thriving job market offers excellent post-graduation prospects.
“Emory is one of the best institutions to thrive academically as well as socially. The curriculum is rigorous and accoutered by a significant amount of resources which match the demand and the community is very supportive. You can easily find your niche and interest at Emory, especially with its flexibility toward declaring majors and minors. The campus is subtle and nice and the food is amazing. The infrastructure overall is very good and it is situated in an ideal part of Atlanta, so it is easy to explore downtown and midtown Atlanta. I definitely recommend considering Emory for your college studies.” – Emory Freshman via Niche.com
University of Richmond
The Vibe: Located in the beautiful capital city of Virginia, University of Richmond combines a traditional campus’s charm with city life’s vibrancy. Expect small class sizes, a strong sense of community, and a commitment to liberal arts education.
Class Size: With approximately 4,000 undergraduate students, the University of Richmond provides an intimate learning environment.
Acceptance Rate: The University of Richmond has an acceptance rate of approximately 30%.
Cost to Attend: For the 2023-2024 academic year, the total cost of attendance, including tuition and fees, is roughly $68,000. The university is committed to meeting 100% of the demonstrated financial need for admitted students.
Why Consider UR?
- Dedicated faculty who prioritize teaching.
- Extensive study abroad and internship opportunities.
- A tight-knit community focused on personal growth.
“The University of Richmond is an excellent school which fosters critical thinking, ability to debate and articulate one’s thoughts and looking deeper at issues. The professors are incredibly invested and helpful and intelligent and foster excellent classroom discussions. It is unlikely that any other schools have class discussions to the same extent as this university. Students are cared about intensely by both faculty and staff and granted gracious resources which result in immaculate student life.” – University of Richmond Junior via Niche.com
College Admissions Services
Schedule a Free Consultation
Meet with a mentor one-on-one via video chat to talk about your son/daughter’s admissions plan. Afterwards, receive a no-obligation Customized College Roadmap (CCR) with advice on courses, extracurricular activities, standardized tests, and Admissions Angle strategy.
Case Western Reserve University
The Vibe: Situated in Cleveland, Ohio, this research-intensive university is known for its rigorous academics and thriving innovation culture. CWRU fosters a collaborative environment where students are encouraged to explore their passions.
Class Size: CWRU’s undergraduate population hovers around 5,000 students, offering a balance between intimacy and diversity.
Acceptance Rate: Case Western Reserve University admits approximately 29% of applicants.
Cost to Attend: Tuition, fees, and other expenses for the 2023-2024 academic year amount to approximately $71,000. CWRU provides various financial aid options, including merit-based scholarships.
Why Consider CWRU?
- Strong emphasis on STEM fields and research.
- A commitment to experiential learning through co-op programs.
- Access to a dynamic city with a low cost of living.
- “Case Western allows students to build a major purely based off of their passions and does not follow strict guidelines to achieving goals. Students are able to choose classes from Dance to Physics and have double or triple majors across various fields. Their student assistants, called Navigators, are available 24/7 to help guide students to their intended major and can help them switch majors if need be. The campus is 16 minutes from Cleveland, but their University Circle feels like a small city. It is a great place for someone who wants to be close to urban life but not fully immersed.” – Case Western Reserve University Alum via Niche.com
Vibe: Tucked away in the charming town of Davidson, North Carolina, Davidson College offers an idyllic setting for intellectual growth. Expect close interactions with professors and a robust commitment to community service.
Class Size: Davidson College is a small liberal arts institution with approximately 1,900 undergraduate students.
Acceptance Rate: Davidson College is highly competitive, with an acceptance rate of around 17%.
Cost to Attend: For the 2023-2024 academic year, the total cost of attendance is approximately $70,000. Davidson College is committed to meeting the full demonstrated need of admitted students through grants and work-study programs.
Why Consider Davidson?
- A tight-knit, supportive community.
- Focus on undergraduate research and experiential learning.
- An honor code that fosters academic integrity and trust.
- “I was nervous about coming to Davidson because it is a smaller school, but I absolutely love it. Davidson hand picks the best people all over the world. There are so many international students, and students from all over the US. I also love the Honor Code they have at Davidson. It holds the students to a higher standard than at state schools. Davidson has an amazing community that I am proud to be a part of. The academics are very challenging though.” – Davidson Freshman via Niche.com
Washington and Lee University
The Vibe: Located in Lexington, Virginia, Washington and Lee University offers a unique blend of tradition and innovation. The school is known for its strong emphasis on liberal arts education and a robust honor system.
Class Size: With around 1,800 undergraduate students, Washington and Lee University provides a close-knit academic community.
Acceptance Rate: Washington and Lee University typically admits around 20% of applicants.
Cost to Attend: Tuition, fees, and other expenses for the 2023-2024 academic year are approximately $70,000. The university offers need-based financial aid and merit-based scholarships.
Why Consider W&L?
- Small class sizes and strong faculty-student relationships.
- Opportunities for leadership and personal development.
- A rigorous academic program with a commitment to ethics and integrity.
- “I truly believe Washington & Lee University is one of, if not the top Liberal Arts college in the country. The university strays away from the elitist, north eastern demagoguery that is so present in many rival institutions. Washington and Lee enrolls high achieving students from all over the country, which creates a diverse and unique learning experience. The history of the institution is also profound, and students are encouraged to explore the ways Washington and Lee’s history is intertwined with the history of our country.” – Washington and Lee University Senior via Niche.com
As you embark on your college application journey, remember that it’s not just about where you’re going but how you’ll grow along the way. Exploring alternative options to Tulane University can provide you with a broader perspective on the educational opportunities available to you. Each college offers a unique experience, from small class sizes to strong community bonds and a commitment to academic excellence. Higher education is a transformative experience, and your college should support your journey. If you want help getting into your dream school (or need guidance finding it!), The Admissions Angle can help. Sign up for a free consultation to see how we can help – even if you don’t work with us!